Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Caedmon Update

Caedmon and I will be spending Black Friday in or near the operating room.  Please think of us as you decorate for Christmas, go shopping or eat leftovers.  Better yet, bring us some leftovers! Hahahaha!

With all these procedures on top of the other regular items on our plate, I've been feeling myself becoming overwhelmed with all of it.  It's amazing how God shows His all-knowing powers in moving us slowly where we need to be until we are in just the right place at the right time.

For months He's been showing me the importance of stillness and silence in His presence.  He's been speaking to me that busy-ness in ministry is not an excuse for not taking that time away with Him. He's shown me multiple times in the last few weeks that I am human and I need to embrace my human limitations, allowing myself the rest, recuperation, and reflection time I need.

Last night, before bed, He brought to mind one of my favorite passages of scripture, one I had completely forgotten about for years.  It is from Isaiah 30:15:
This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel, says, "In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it." (NIV)
Pretty appropriate for modern life.  He tells us exactly how to be saved from the craziness of this life and exactly how to be strong and yet we don't listen, I don't listen.  The next few verses God goes on to talk about how Israel would get so worked up that many would run in fright from one person, all because they would not rest and be still.  I think of how often I stress out about things that are not worthy of my energy because I have not allowed myself time to take it to God.  The passage ends with this powerful reminder:
 18 And therefore the Lord earnestly waits, expecting, looking, and longing to be gracious to you; and therefore He lifts Himself up, that He may have mercy on you and show loving-kindness to you. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed (happy, fortunate, to be envied) are all those who earnestly wait for Him, who expect and look and long for Him; for His victory, His favor, His love, His peace, His joy, and His matchless, unbroken companionship! (AMP)
Wow!  So much in that verse!  You could unpack it for weeks, like the most amazing Christmas present ever.  But right now, I am just clinging to the fact that He doesn't give up.  He just earnestly waits for me because He really wants to show me grace and mercy and love.  So I'm entering this time of medical busy-ness with the heart to be still and the promise of peace in the midst of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment