Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Original Blog Post: December 23, 2010- A Grateful Heart

What does it mean to live thankfully?

I have just begun to realize how much I have taken for granted, how many blessings I have had and have and how oblivious I have been to them, wishing for that next great thing maybe or maybe wishing my life were different in some way, never fully appreciating life as a gift and seeing all the opportunities God takes to show His love.  In the last three years I have become amazingly aware of how much God has given me, how wonderful my life is, what an amazing family I have and an incredible husband that supports me and helps me grow better then I would ever be by myself. 

It's an irony, really, that these realizations would hit me now.  It's not as if our ship has come in or we have an amazing stockpile of wealth.  In fact, by the world's standards, we would probably be considered worse off then we were three years ago.  It reminded me of the verse in the Philippians 4 that talks about contentment:
12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
I never read the following verse, verse 13, or if I did I scanned it quickly and didn't allow it to sink in: I can do all this through Him who gives me strength.  The secret to finding contentment in anything.

This Christmas I just wanted to say thank you.  First, to the Lord for His rich blessings and abounding love.  Second, to all my friends and family who have somehow loved me through all my years of selfish and blind living.  I am just beginning to learn what generosity truly means and how to be a friend.  I hope I have many opportunities to show you over the many years to come.
Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment