Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Original Blog Post: December 18, 2008- All I Want For Christmas Is A Shunt

After much anxious waiting and a few false starts we are scheduled for shunt surgery on Monday, December 22, at 7:00 pm.  Caedmon's spinal fluid has been collecting in his back, just above his stitched area.  It hadn't been growing or changing at all over the past few weeks but last night that all changed fairly quickly.  The swollen area suddenly grew by about 50% and then started a new swollen pocket just above that.  They quickly got him in for another ultrasound this morning and, after meeting with Dr. Nagib (neurosurgeon), it was decided he needed to get in for a shunt.  This surgery will put him back in the NICU for at least three days, meaning, if we're lucky, Caedmon could come home Christmas night.  We've decided to put off Christmas until the first full day he's home, whenever that might be.  We ask for prayers over Caedmon and the medical team who will be working on him.  While shunt surgery is fairly routine it's new territory for us and we are asking the Lord to be with our son.  It is a rather frightening thing to send your little three week old baby into an operating room, especially when you cannot accompany him.100_2301

No comments:

Post a Comment